STRESS FREE HOLIDAYS
These tips can be used all year long, but they are especially helpful during the holiday rush!
- Always park as closely to cart corrals as possible. Shoppers tend to have more energy going into the store, rather than coming out to their cars, so who wants to be stuck with a cart an no corral close enough? Please do not be one-of-those-people who leaves a cart rolling around in the middle of a parking spot as it is not safe, highly annoying and inconsiderate of others using the parking lot!
- Have store card, credit card and any coupons ready before reaching the checkout so people behind you don’t have to wait.
- For grocery shopping, if your cashier is going too fast, slow them down with produce in the middle of ringing up your food! This always slows them down, giving you ample time to catch up with placing the rest of your items on the counter belt.
- Bring your own bags and try to bag your own items at the grocery store. This will ensure that your similar items are together and that the heavy weight of cans, jars and bottles are distributed between several bags.
- Shop early in the morning or early evening to avoid crowds inside and for better parking in the lot. Best hours are usually 8:00am – 10:30am or 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Go online to check your points if you have any credit card accounts with rewards programs to see if you have reached a point where you can request a pre-paid VISA car or other option that you have been wanting!
- Do not attempt to use pre-paid credit cards at restaurants or gas stations, as they can sometimes be denied or tips do not transfer accurately. Sometimes, there is also a fee for using these cards in certain situations. Prepaid cards are great for using at grocery stores where you can use the entire value of the card at one time.
Use proper etiquette in stores!
- Do not walk away from your shopping cart —ever— as this causes anything from traffic jams, the blocking of products on shelves that other shoppers wish access and in some cases, even cause safety hazards. This will also help to save other shoppers from becoming irritated with your negligence.
- Read the body language of other shoppers as well as store staffers to feel how hurried they might be, distressed, happy or just want to go about their business. If your cashier has a long line, please don’t chat long with them while they are trying to do their job and move the line as quickly as they can without making mistakes on anyone’s total spending receipts.
- Less is more. Each December is a great time to look through every single decoration you have to ensure that you have enough or if you have too many. This is the time to add or subtract what you need or don’t need. It’s also the best time to repair or replace what is broken.
- Decide who your audience is for outdoor decorations. If your neighborhood has a lot of children, more lights can be fun for them. If mostly adults who are not interested in your gigantic neon blue snowman, you might want to retire him from your fleet of offending decorations. Think about how much trouble it is to set up your outdoor decorations as well as how much electricity it takes to power your display. If you are mostly indoors and don’t really even enjoy your own outdoor decorations, make sure you are doing it to make other people smile and not to irritate or blind them. Why work to make others annoyed during what is supposed to be a pleasant holiday season?
- If you don’t have the time or desire for the work involved in decorating or preparing for a party that you wish to host at your home, you can contact catering, decorating or concierge businesses that actually handle all of the decorations and party planning for you at fees that are not as expensive as you would think. If your time and energy is valuable in other ways, that time and energy that you save from holiday work is worth the price, as you have more time to spend with family and friends without being tired and irritable.
- Mention having all of the adults only shop for the children in the family and see who agrees with you. Some might be very relieved. Others might miss the idea of receiving or giving gifts to adults, but may be willing to give it a try!
- Another alternative would be to take a vote about experimenting with drawing adult names one year to see if it’s something your family can handle. It certainly means that each family member can give one person a more thoughtful gift of a higher quality and expense than in other years. This also means that each adult receives just one gift. As for the children, it’s easier to shop for them without having so many adult gifts to deal with.
- Have everyone exchanging gifts try to only give homemade gifts that they either make themselves or buy from independent hand crafters at festivals and holiday boutiques.
- Set new guidelines for gifts, such as exchanging only homemade, eco-friendly, services or edibles or other items that are guaranteed to by used by the recipients. This saves waste, as well as being something that people actually want, rather than them being stuck with to regift or donate.
- Give gifts that don’t require wrapping… or give gifts in natural or waste free wrappings, such as cute printed fabric for kids gifts that can later be used to sew into bags or pillow cases. The best bet is to cover empty boxes in various sizes with attractive upholstery cloth so that they can be used year after year! The lids to each permanently wrapped box can also be adorned with lovely wired ribbons glued over the fabric which can be reshaped each year after being stored for eleven months.
- Gift baskets need not be wrapped in shrink wrap that is bad for the environment, but can be covered in sheer fabrics that come in many colors with options of shimmered to matted. You can still see everything thing inside of the basket without the worry of wasteful plastics.
Food & Beverage
- Keep it simple while at the same time keeping in mind what guests prefer or whether or not they have any sensitive issues with certain foods and/or beverages.
- If you have had sit-down meals for your family each year, try something different, such as a heavy or light hors d’oeuvre party spread with punch and hot chocolates for a change!
- Forget paper and plastic! Stay green and use your nice china and platters, as well as cloth napkins and glass stemware for the holidays. Not only will this create a much better impression upon your guests, but it will save on such waste to end up in landfills!
- Always have to-go containers handy for your guests so that they can enjoy some of the goodies from your house after the party.
- Background music for the holiday entertaining adds such a wonderful touch to events, large or small. If you happen to have a Spotify account, you can easily create your own holiday playlists to suit the vibe of your guests. You can create several playlists to use for multiple entertaining moments at your home completely customized as to who your guests will be. Sample themes are a jazz holiday playlist, one with fun songs for children or one created from oldies and pop.
Remember, holidays are meant to be festive!
You can be simple with low to no stress and still be festive!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
As the holidays hit, people seem to be thinking ahead as to the changes and/or improvements they wish to make at the start of the new year… with becoming more organized one of the top choices year after year!
Held annually in January, National GO Month (Get Organized Month) is a special month when events are offered celebrating being well organized, new products are introduced and standard products and services may be discounted.
Stay tuned for Garrison Concierge’s 2018 plans for GO Month to be announced very soon!
Here is the link for more information: GO MONTH
A new season… and a new road to becoming healthier and more organized…
Garrison Concierge has several announcements for the cooler seasons ahead to suit the various needs and desires for clients.
ANNOUNCING THE NEW DEEP HEAP CIRCLE!
What is the Deep Heap Circle?
The DEEP HEAP CIRCLE is the new name for the clutter support group founded and facilitated by Garrison Concierge with the Desmond-Fish Library. This support group was introduced in the spring of 2017 without a specific name. Taking the summer months off, the support group is to resume on Wednesday, October 4th at the library. As an ongoing discussion group for untidiness control, this group meets the first Wednesday of each month at 1:30 at the Desmond-Fish Library, facilitated by Garrison Concierge.
NOTE: The October 4th session will be another meet & greet introduction for the new season and guidelines and confidentiality code will be handed out to participants.
For more information, e-mail email@example.com
SUSTAINABILITY WORKSHOP AT DESMOND-FISH LIBRARY!
Wednesday, October 25th – 1:30pm – 2:30pm
HOME SUSTAINABILITY WORKSHOP: STEPS TO LEADING A HEALTHIER LIFESTYLE: This workshop is for those considering ways to make their home and lifestyles more sustainable by adopting habits for living a healthier, simpler and more peaceful lifestyle while helping the environment. There will be much discussion about way to reduce clutter, lower waste amounts and save on utilities. Warnings will be given about dangerous toxins in our living spaces, plastics, foods and toiletries. Also, recommendations will be discussed concerning green cleaning as to what products are natural and what products should be avoided.
SPECIAL AUTUMN DISCOUNTS!!
ATTICS & GARAGES!
Now that the weather is cool, but not yet freezing, it’s the perfect time to deal with those procrastinated tasks, due to hot or frosty temperatures. For sessions over two hours based on organizing an attic or garage, clients can receive 20% off of the total hours worked.
PAPER MANAGEMENT FOR PARENTS!
Now that a new academic year has started, parents find themselves inundated with papers– school records, health records, forms for registrations, newsletters, calendars, notes… it just goes on and on. For a session to help reduce the frustrations parents may have with the amount of paperwork that enters their home, Garrison Concierge can help to customize a system that works for the family. For a flat fee of $50, e-mail or call Garrison Concierge for a special session.
If you have been meaning to reorganize your pantry and/or refrigerator for what seems like forever, Garrison Concierge can help you handle such a task with great ease. With cooler seasons ahead and meals changing to more comfort foods, now is a great time to attack these two parts of the kitchen to start these seasons off right! $100 gets both a pantry and a refrigerator on the way to easier access to the warm foods you love!
PER REQUEST FROM THE PUBLIC!
New Offering! One-on-One Classes!
Garrison Concierge has had many compliments on the programs offered over the years. However, there have been numerous people who said that they missed a program because they were unavailable for the date or time that the program was hosted. Most of these people have asked for Garrison Concierge to let them know when a program is coming up that they were previously interested. With this notion, Garrison Concierge has now come up with a plan! That is, no-more-waiting! If there is any program in the past that was missed, it can be reserved as a one-on-one class session! Simply contact Garrison Concierge with the program title of your choosing and ask when the class could be set one-on-one and set the location for a low fee of $25. Program titles are found with this link: PROGRAMS
NOTE: Programs for the public will still be offered in class settings at various locations in Philipstown and Beacon. This is simply something that is an added benefit when someone absolutely cannot make one of those public programs.
Stay tuned for special announcements to come in the near future about new programs and service features! As Garrison Concierge was recently able to take a needed vacation before returning to clients, much research and planning behind the scenes was accomplished to offer even more options.
Garrison Concierge is pleased to announce information about a new class and a new support group! See details below!
BOOT CAMP RETURNS IN A NEW VENUE!!
For weeks, months… even years, you’ve been trying to organize your office… your residence… your life.
You may have read countless tips, articles or entire books, yet you cannot seem to tackle the projects.
You’ve had various excuses…
– no time
– too overwhelming
– illness or injury
– not enough desire
– lack of organizational skills
But now, you may have become…
– annoyed by always having to search for items
– frustrated from being tardy or missing appointments
– injured from tripping over clutter
– drained of energy and inspiration
NOW is the time to face ACTION. Start the warmer season off on the right foot so that you can enjoy more leisure time outdoors!
~~~~ NO MORE EXCUSES ~~~~
Unlike other classes offered by Garrison Concierge, this BOOT CAMP workshop is a more firm approach with very direct questions to ask yourself and aggressive steps to take in order to bring about significant improvements.
MONDAY – May 1, 2017 – 7:00pm – 8:30pm
NOTE: Pre-registration only. Deadline for registration is Thursday, April 20th, 2017. Here is the link to the pdf registration form and payment instructions. If you have questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
NEW CLUTTER SUPPORT GROUP
Do you long to spend more time outdoors this summer, but the indoor condition of your home brings on frustration and guilt that you don’t have time to spare for leisure activities? Have you tried to become more organized, but the magazine articles and books simply aren’t enough to keep your momentum? Do you feel that the clutter in your environment is taking over you life? Have you considered joining a specialized support group for those facing mild to severe issues with chronic disorganization?
With spring soon hitting the Hudson Valley, Garrison Concierge is working on several announcements for the new, warmer season. Please stay tuned for special news in the weeks ahead! In the meantime, please feel free to view a sampling of information below.
If you are mostly in a hurry to find the new directory page for referrals for local services that Garrison Concierge can recommend through clients, please see link here!
Speaking of referrals… clients like to sing word-of-mouth praises for the services of Garrison Concierge. You can quickly view a sampling of testimonials from a few GC clients with this link.
Please view the EVENTS page for news for each month. There are a couple of updates there right now for discounts and vacation dates.
Per requests from clients, there is also a new products page.
There is even a new page dedicated to The Brasiles Ensemble! Now you can even make special requests for music at your next special event! See new page for details!